Established in 1994 to locate the original site of the Apple River Fort, the Apple River Fort Historic Foundation, Inc. raised the necessary funds and conducted the research to reconstruct the Fort and build an Interpretive Center to commemorate the brave individuals fighting in the June 24, 1832 battle, both inside and outside of the Fort.
Today, the Foundation supports the Apple River Fort State Historic Site by funding living history and other special programming as well as construction and maintenance projects. The Foundation supports these efforts through fundraising activities and monetary contributions. The Foundation also operates a gift shop located in the Interpretive Center with all profits going to support the living history and other educational programming at the site.
The Apple River Fort Historic Foundation seeks to not only sustain this historic site, but also look to the future. Please join us in becoming a part of history!
Carl “Skip” Schwerdtfeger, President
Kathleen Morgan, Vice-President
Helen Kilgore, Secretary/Treasurer
*Terry Miller, Site Superintendent