2019 "Elizabeth" Wine Label Contest
The Apple River Fort Fort Foundation and Massbach Ridge Winery are happy to announce that we are now taking submissions for a new label design for the "Elizabeth" white wine! Originally created in 2008, the "Elizabeth" wine is named for three Elizabeths who were in the Fort during Black Hawk's attack. One, Elizabeth Armstrong, rallied the women and children into action when the men began considering surrender. Their actions, molding bullets and reloading rifles, were essential to rebuffing Black Hawk and his braves. The "Elizabeth" wine commemorates their courage and the strength of all women who helped settle the frontier.
Artists, when designing the label, please take the following into consideration:
- The image should not include any information about the wine. The winery's graphic designer will use the image and add all the necessary text to create the printed label.
- The image should appeal to wine shoppers. The wine itself is a soft, fruity wine made from Niagara grapes.
- The image should evoke the Fort, frontier women, and/or the 1830's in the Tri-State area. If you have any questions regarding history or period accuracy, such as clothing, please don't hesitate to contact the Fort.
- The image should not include Black Hawk as a focal point, as he is honored with his own "Black Hawk" wine.
- The image will be reduced to a size of about 4 inches high and 3 inches wide. Fine details may be lost.
- The jury will be composed of representatives from Massbach Ridge Winery, the Apple River Fort Foundation, and the local art community. The contest coordinator is not on the panel.
Official Contest Rules:
- Contest is open to all artists, 18 years or older, who are living or attending school in the Tri-State area.
- There is no fee to enter and no limit on number of submissions.
- Full color photographs, paintings, and drawings (any medium) will be accepted until Saturday, June 15, 2019.
- Any requisite model release must be included with application.
- The original work of art must be delivered in person to the Apple River Fort Interpretive Center (during normal site hours only). Submissions will be judged and the winner chosen from the original work of art. Artists will be responsible to pick up their art after the winner is announced on June 26, 2019.
- No visible identification (signatures, etc.) is allowed on the front of the art. Please put your name, address, phone number/email on the back of the work.
- All submissions must have a completed application form. Copies of the application form will be available at the Apple River Fort Interpretive Center and may be filled out when dropping off works of art.
- The painting or photograph cannot have been used to promote any other product or event and cannot be used in the future to promote any other product or event.
- The winning artist will receive a $100 honorarium and, if 21 years of age or older, three bottles of the "Elizabeth" wine with their winning art on the label. The artist will retain ownership of the original work of art. However, Massbach Ridge Winery and the Apple River Fort Foundation will have the right to use the artwork to produce wine labels, wine label posters, and to promote events.
Click here for the 2019 Wine Label Contest Application Form!
Any questions regarding the contest, please contact Kathleen Morgan or the Apple River Fort.